Have always been a fan of slow cooked meals and with my new crock pot, I'm equiped to try some new ones. The original recipe comes from "The Slow Cooker Bible" and includes my intended modifications. As I have not yet tried this dish, feedback is especially welcome.
- 1⁄2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 (9 ounce) packagecooked spicy chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 (8 -10 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 green pepper, seeded and vertically cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 large zucchini, halved and cut into 3/8 inch thick pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth (can use bouillon and water)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (use another white bean if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Coat slow cooker with a light layer of cooking spray.
- Add carrots and onions. Top with chicken cubes and chicken sausage. Top with peppers and zucchini.
- Mix together the tomatoes, broth, rosemary, garlic and oregano. Pour on top of ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours. Vegetables should be tender and chicken cooked but not falling apart.
- Turn cooker to high and stir in cannellini beans and re-cover slow cooker. Cook and additional 10 to 15 minutes until beans are heated through.
- Ladle stew into bowls and garnish with basil.