Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A delicious spicy soup.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- hot cooked rice
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a big skillet, add the ground beef, sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Saute, crumbling the meat up, until the meat is browned; drain fat.
- Add the meat mixture and water to a slow cooker.
- Add in the tomatoes and their juice, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, basil, oregano, salt to taste, and hot sauce; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle cheese on top.
This was good. I'd make it again. I served it with a good rustic bread, rather than the rice. It's a keeper.
Excellent flavor! I didn't change a thing about this recipe except to switch a red pepper for the green one (Mark won't eat green peppers, the red one he won't notice!). This makes a very thick soup - almost like a chili stew. If you want it more souplike, you could add tomato juice or V8. This is a keeper as it was so easy to toss in the pot and spend all day outdoors in the garden. Thanks, Nurse Di!!
This is an excellent recipe and I am so glad that I stumbled upon this little gem! Thanks so much. This makes excellent leftovers!! I traded out the garbanzo for great northerns... and changed out the water for vegetable stock. Just fabulous!! Thanks :)