Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Hoisin sauce, a combination of soybeans, garlic, chiles and spices, lends a sweet spicy flavor to this pork roast. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes and Lemon Glazed Brussels Sprouts (Lemon Glazed Brussels Sprouts) for a delicious meal that won't disappoint.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2494.75 g boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and tied to hold shape
- 177.44 ml hoisin sauce
- 3 bunch green onions, cut on diagonal into 1 inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 4.92 ml whole black peppercorn
- 59.14 ml scotch whiskey
- 177.44 ml water (or more)
- sliced green onion (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 300*F.
- Heat oil in heavy large oven-safe pot over high heat.
- Add pork shoulder, fat side down; brown on all sides, turning often, about 12 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Spread hoisin sauce over pork; sprinkle with green onion pieces and peppercorns.
- Cover pot and place in oven.
- Cook until pork is very tender when pierced with fork, about 2 3/4 hours, adding water to pot by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry.
- Remove pot from oven.
- Transfer pork to cutting board and tent with foil.
- Let pork stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon off fat from pan juices.
- Stir whiskey and 3/4 cup water into juices; boil 2 minutes.
- Add more water by tablespoons if sauce is too thick, or boil to reduce sauce if too thin, Cut pork crosswise on slight diagonal into 1 inch thick slices.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.
- Pour pan sauce over pork and serve.
Very good pork recipe! I omitted the green onions only because mine had gone bad in the refrigerator. The whiskey was a little to strong for my taste so added another 1/4 cup of water. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.