Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is so easy to make and wonderful to serve a crowd. The recipe came from the Chicago Tribune Food section. I have tweaked it to perfection over the years. Enjoy! It freezes well. This can be made in the crock pot overnight and finished in the morning and be ready for lunch! This is not a saucy Pulled pork but that can be easily remedied by adding your fave BBQ sauce or by following my suggestion. Update 5/10: Top with Simple Creamy Cole Slaw Just Like Mama Maria Makes
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder, fat removed (*have butcher trim, separate bone and tie with twine)
- 1⁄4 cup water, can use beer
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses (mild)
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring, I do not use
- 16 soft buns, regular
- 1 pint creamy Coleslaw, for topping your pulled pork
- Switch on the crockpot to the LOW setting.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (except pork).
- Place pork shoulder in crock pot. Pour sauce over pork to coat.
- Cover and cook with lid on for approximately 8-10 hours on low or overnight. Cook until very tender and falling apart. *I often do this overnight.
- Remove pork from crock and cool enough for handling. When cooled, pull apart with fingers or forks. Put back in crock, keep warm until ready to serve.
- For a thicker sauce, add 1/2 C ketchup and 1/2 C your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Serve on soft buns and smother with a creamy coleslaw recipe#421991.
Great taste, really easy to put together but the sauce is way too thin for my taste. This recipe also happens to be exactly the same as one I have from Good Housekeeping.
I have made this several times and it is excellent! My family loves it and it is so simple to do. I have been asked for the recipe and email it from the Recipezaar site. We just had it two weeks ago and I will be making it again this weekend by popular request!
I have only good things to say and will make this recipe again and again....