Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is an excellent recipe for party sandwiches. I always make 2 (and sometimes 3) briskets because it goes so fast, but you could reduce the recipe easily. Sounds like alot of garlic but thats what makes it! Serve with brown mustard on rye or kaiser rolls. Can also add cole slaw to the sandwich for a uniquely delicious sandwich.
- 2 (3 lb) corned beef brisket, with spice packets
- 1⁄4 cup peppercorn
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 head garlic, bulbs separated and peeled
- Place the corned beef briskets into a large pot. Sprinkle in one of the spice packets, and discard the other one or save for other uses. Pour in the beer, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the briskets by 1 inch. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and garlic cloves. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 4 to 5 hours, checking hourly, and adding more water if necessary to keep the meat covered.
- Carefully remove the meat from the pot, as it will be extremely tender. Set on a cutting board, and allow it to rest until it firms up a bit, about 10 minutes. Slice or shred to serve. I discard the cooking liquid, but it can be used to cook cabbage and other vegetables if desired.
I made this for dinner last night, and it was wonderful! Everyone loved it. My 7 year old step-daughter wanted to know where I got the recipe from! So easy and so delicious - what's not to love?