Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Extremely easy recipe done in a crockpot.
Make and share this Slow Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- In bottom of crockpot, place carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic.
- Trim fat from brisket and sprinkle with salt, black pepper and thyme.
- Place brisket on top of vegetables.
- Add beef broth, cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.
- Before serving, remove 1 cup of broth from crockpot and pour into skillet.
- Add cabbage wedges and simmer until cabbage is tender.
- Cut meat across the grain and serve with vegetables and broth.
Great way to cook a fork-tender corned beef. I can't say the same for the vegetables though. Didn't care for the color or texture after such long cooking. I generally cook corned beef in water and I recommend doing so with this recipe. I tried the beef broth using no extra salt and low sodium broth. Even so the entire meal was very salty. Using water should avoid that problem. Corned beef broth makes a great base for bean soup.
This was a wonderful 30 minute recipe but we grilled the onions and some red peppers & spices before adding beef stock, diced ham, potatoes & carrots - boiled for 10 minutes, then added the cabbage for the last 10 minute boil...it was WONDERFUL and I don't like cabbage.
I love slow cooking. I cooked this in my oven on the slow cooker feature. It was cooked on high for 4 hours and then reduced to low for an additional 2 to 3 hours. The vegetables were cut in large chunks since they were going to be cooking for an extended length of time. I reduced the amount of potatoes and added a rutabaga. Corned beef can be high in sodium and I used water instead of the beef broth omitting any additional salt. By cooking the cabbage separately, it retained its color and did not overpower the meat and other vegetables. Thanks Marie for posting.