Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This chili is hearty and filling. You can use home-canned stewed tomatoes and pizza sauce, but store-bought tastes good, too.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (16 ounce) canslight red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker, stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
This is a very thick chili, DD was eating it with a fork. I liked the addition of the basil, I don't think I've ever put that in chili before. I cooked mine for 3 hours on HIGH. Made for *1 2 3 Hit Wonders* game 2008
This is a very easy to do recipe. The flavor is extremely mild but if you like heat Tabasco or cayenne could be added. I made a half recipe and used Romano beans that were already opened, a LOT more onion that ask for, about 3/4 of a cup and a full garlic clove. The pizza sauce was a brilliant idea, I would never have thought to use it in chili. I appreciate the low fat content and that is why I chose this recipe. Thanks Lainey, I had thought that chili was off my menu for good.