1/1 Photo of Slow Cooked Chicken Curry
4 hrs 25 mins
Ran out of curry powder recently and replaced it not once but twice. My surplus of this spice blend sent me in a hunt for ways to enjoy my bounty. This is a reduced fat adaptation of a recipe from BHG. I just love slow cooker recipes for the ease of dump and run cooking. This one is a bit more involved since you need to prepare the lighter substitute for coconut milk. If you are not concerned about fat or calories, feel free to use regular or light coconut milk instead. A wonderful, rich flavored curry for just 5 WW points that is even better the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups small red potatoes, scrubbed (halved or quartered)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut 1/4 inch thick on the bias
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cooking apple (make big chunks so they do not dissolve)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (amount is to taste)
- 1 teaspoon instant low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled (minced or grated)
Faux Coconut milk
- 1In a large bowl or plastic bag combine flour, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Add chicken cubes in three parts and shake to coat.
- 2Combine potatoes, carrots, apple, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, ginger, and chicken bouillon. Top with chicken. Pour water over chicken mixture.
- 3Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- 4To make faux coconut milk combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoon of evaporated milk in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk to mix, removing all lumps. Add remaining milk and cook just until milk thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add extract.
- 5About 15 minutes before serving, turn slow-cooker to high setting if not already there. Stir faux coconut milk into chicken mixture. Recover cook for 15 minutes more.
- 6Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with nuts and raisins if desired.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.5
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 67.5 mg
- Sodium 343.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules