Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe using some of my favourite ingredients. I love that this can be adapted to suit what I feel like at the time
- 1 kg chicken piece (I like chicken which is still on the bone)
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup cream (sour cream can be used instead)
- mixed herbs
- Brown chicken in frying pan then transfer to casserole dish.
- Fry bacon until crisp, add this to chicken.
- Lightly fry mushrooms until cooked (I add the pepper while the mushrooms are cooking); add to chicken.
- After mushrooms have been transferred from pan to casserole dish, add diced potatoes to frying pan. Add mixed herbs to potatoes and fry until lightly golden. Add this to casserole dish.
- pour chicken stock over mixture in casserole dish and then cooked in oven on low temperature for 2-3 hours.
- half an hour before serving turn oven up to moderate to high heat and add cream to casserole dish. If desired add cornflour to cream to thicken sauce.
- This can be done in a slow cooker instead of oven.
- As a variation white wine can be used instead of stock. I change the herbs I use each time depending on what I have available.
Had some big, fat bone-in thunder thighs, which we like "falling off the bone" Put this together in amazingly short order -- did have some left-over creamy potato chunks --and let it bake at 250* for almost 4 hours. Had also used micro-wave slices of bacon, so taste and aroma were appealing all afternoon. Very tasty -- wish I had done a larger batch for left overs ! Thanks for posting, Chef !
Pretty good! Very easy to make!