Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A nice savory supper in the slow cooker. Adapted from a recipe at All Recipes. http://bit.ly/e3lSNU
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs chicken parts, skin removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 lb button mushroom, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- Heat oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add chicken parts and brown on both sides. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add chopped onions to skillet. Sprinkle with salt. Saute until soft. Move onions to edges of pan and add tomato paste to center. Stir paste until it begins to brown. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Scrape contents of skillet into slow cooker. Add wine to skillet and scrape up any browned fond from the bottom, then pour into slow cooker.
- Add black pepper, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, mushrooms, sliced onions, bell peppers, and 1/2 cup chicken stock to slow cooker. Cook on low 7-8 hours until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Stir cornstarch into remaining stock and add to sauce. Increase slow cooker to high and stir until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to pot and serve over cooked pasta (fettucine or pappardelle are recommended).