Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This might be the best recipe for chicken. Very easy to make....little preparation but wonderful results.
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) whole chickens
- kosher salt
- cracked white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Rinse the chicken both inside and out under cool running water. Pat dry.
- Season the chicken liberally both inside and out with salt and pepper. Place in a slow cooker.
- Scatter the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, and lemon juice over top of the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and set the temperature to high. Cook for 6 hours, undisturbed.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and pour the accumulated juices into a 2-cup heatproof container. Skim the fat from the top and transfer the liquid to a small saucepan.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons of water and whisk to form a slurry. Whisk the slurry into the juices and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until thickened, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and serve, with the thickened pan juices ladled over the top.