This main dish meal can be cooked in the oven if you don't have a slow cooker. Just follow the alternate directions below if you choose to not use the slow cooker. You can serve this with rye bread to sop up the juices.
- To use a slow cooker, omit oil and place beef directly into cooker.
- Top with remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 hours or until roast is very tender.
- If you don't have a slow cooker, heat a large pot over high heat.
- Add oil.
- Brown roast on all sides.
- Add beer, onion, soy sauce, pepper and basil; bring to a boil.
- Cover and place pot in 275 degree oven for 7-9 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, sliced, with juices, for up to 3 days.
Yum! I made this as directed, except that I also added some potatoes, baby carrots, and celery to the crockpot. Smelled good, tasted great, and I ended up with a full meal on the table in minutes when it was done. Thanks Lainey for sharing. Made for ZWT8 - Great Britain.
Delicious and couldn't be easier or more versatile! This was so easy to put together, and smelled wonderful while it was cooking in the crockpot. I served it very simply with mashed potatoes, but it could go over noodles or rice, or in a pot pie as well ( I may use the leftovers that way!) Veggies could be added to make a delicious stew too! A real winner! Made for ZWT8
Perfectly simple dinner to prepare without a lot of preparation which is a huge benefit. The roast was fork tender. The only little change was I added a bit of garlic seasoning to the mix just because we love that flavor. Served with brown rice and veggie mix on the side and it was perfect! Thanks for a great recipe. Tagged in Gimme 5 game.