This main dish meal can be cooked in the oven if you don't have a slow cooker. Just follow the alternate directions below if you choose to not use the slow cooker. You can serve this with rye bread to sop up the juices.
- To use a slow cooker, omit oil and place beef directly into cooker.
- Top with remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 hours or until roast is very tender.
- If you don't have a slow cooker, heat a large pot over high heat.
- Add oil.
- Brown roast on all sides.
- Add beer, onion, soy sauce, pepper and basil; bring to a boil.
- Cover and place pot in 275 degree oven for 7-9 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, sliced, with juices, for up to 3 days.