Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 hrs
From John Ash. Serve with mashed potatoes, polenta, or crusty bread. This can also be made in the crock pot. Just brown meat and then dump everyting in and cook on low for 10 hours.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cubed
- 16 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper (not ground)
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 275°F
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed dutch oven. Brown meat on all sides, working in batches. Pour off fat and add garlic, pepper, tomatoes, wine, and basil to pot. Cover tightly and cook for 8 to 10 hours. Check occasionally and if liquid is cooking away, add a little boiling water and turn down the oven temperature slightly.
- When meat is very tender, lift it out of the pot and let liquid set for a few minutes while the fat rises to the top. Skim off as much fat as possible, then return meat to pot. At this point the meat can be refrigerated if you like. More fat will rise to the surface and can be discarded.
- Make the gremolata: Use a mini food processor to coarsley chop the garlic. Add parsley and lemon zest and pulse a few more times. Mixture should be loose and airy, do not overprocess into a paste. Add salt to taste.
- Warm meat through and serve topped with a sprinkling of gremolata.