Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Yum! The smell of these ribs simmering all day is just mouthwatering! Make sure to serve with a big loaf of crusty bread to mop up every last bit of the sauce!
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- Mix flour, salt & pepper. Coat ribs with the mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over med-high heat and brown the short ribs on all sides.
- In a crock pot, combine onions, 1 cup of red wine, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, dry mustard & chili powder. Add ribs to the mixture.
- Cover & cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove ribs to a platter and keep warm.
- Turn crockpot to high and add remaining flour and red wine. Cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly combined and sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce over ribs and serve immediately!
These ribs were delicious! I had a lot of short ribs in the freezer that needed to be used so I made a double batch and still no leftovers!!! My crock pot wasn't big enough for that many ribs so I cooked half of them in the oven and they came out even better and I didn't have to cook them as long. I did them for maybe 3 to 4 hours at 350 degrees and they came out every bit as moist and tender as the ones in the crock pot. I have my own recipe for pork ribs but for beef ribs this will be the one that I use now! The flavor was wonderful! Thanks for a great recipe!
I followed this recipe verbatim and it was disgusting! The sauce was a funky oily mess, too. I used grass fed beef so maybe that's why? I don't know.
The sauce while it was coming to a boil smelled and tasted AMAZING! i used jack daniels spicey bbq sauce, and only about half the amount of soy sauce called for. However, once I baked the ribs (they only took 2 hours to fall off the bone), the sauce became a strange mixture of fatty oil and blackness. Next time I will boil the ribs and add the sauce at the end. Great beginnings for us though!