Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Passed down from my husband's grandmother. The slow cooking process
- 5 lbs beef roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 stalks sliced celery
- 2 medium sliced onions
- 8 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Grease roasting pan lightly.
- Mix ingredients for sauce.
- Place roast into roasting pan.
- Cut vegetables into individual servings.
- Pour sauce over beef and vegetables.
- Cover tightly and don't peek.
- Bake in a 250 degree oven for 5 hours.
Oh My Gosh! The absolutely best roast beef I've ever made! The tomato juice acts as a tenderizer, and the meat just falls apart! There is not a strong tomato flavor when it is finished as you might expect, and the veggies were scrumptious. I couldn't find a 5# roast, so used two 3# Bnls Chuck Roast, which fed 6 adults with an entire roast left over. I doubled the carrots and onions, and used 12 potatoes, just because I knew we would want leftovers. So I also increased the sauce by 1/2. This filled my large roaster. A wonderful meal. Thank you for sharing this family secret!
I used to have a beef stew recipe years ago with similar ingredients so I was glad to find this recipe. Made it just as written and it is fabulous! Thanks, Leta!
Audrey, This is one of those absolutely mouthwatering recipes.And it smells so good cooking,you can hardly wait to eat.And when you finally dig in,it is definantly worth the wait,So tender you can cut it with a fork,a real keeper. Thanks for this great recipe.Darlene Summers