Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this in Fix It and Forget It. My whole house smells wonderful when I make this.
- 1 medium onion
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Stick cloves into whole onion. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, combine water, lentils, salt, bay leaf, and whole onion with cloves.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Stir in simmered ingredients from saucepan.
- Add additional water if mixture seems dry. ( I added 1-1/2 cups of additional water).
- Cook on low 6-8 hours. (check to see if lentils are tender).
- Top with sour cream and/or salsa when serving, if desired.
- This also freezes well.