14 hrs 15 mins
Paul in Owens Cross Roads's Note:
I discovered this on accident while trying to use a BBQ recipe from a cookbook. I accidentally started with the wrong recipe and had to ad-lib when I discovered my mistake. It came out so good that my kids ranted and raved about it ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pick a roast cut with a good solid layer of fat on one side. Cut the fat off that side and cut it into large pieces and put them in the bottom of a crock pot. Take the rest of the roast and cut it against the grain into pieces 2 to 3 inches long. Put the roast pieces into the crock pot on top of the fat pieces and pour in the water and sprinkle with the vinegar.
- 2Cut up the onion and put it into the crock pot. Sprinkle the chili powder and mustard powder over the onions and cover with the Worcestershire and soy sauces. Pour the ketchup over the top, cover, and cook on low overnight (8-10 hours).
- 3In the morning, scoop the beef pieces into a colander and squeeze the juices out of them. Discard the squeezed juices along with the fat pieces. Using a fork, break up the beef pieces along the grain and put it all back into the crock pot. Turn the temperature down to warm and cook another 4 hours. When done use a slotted spoon and fish out the beef, draining as much of the juices as you can.
- 4The beef is now ready for sandwiches. Put the beef on a bun and cover with the BBQ sauce and optionally with some good cole slaw.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooked Alabama Barbecue Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.3
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 1336.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 56.9 g