Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is an intensely flavorful stew based on Cooks Illustrated's Hearty Fisherman's Stew. This recipe is scaled for a small (about 3 qt.) slow cooker. For a larger cooker, double the recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb red potatoes, cut into large dice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced in half the long way and then cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 large roma tomato
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 12 ounces boneless skinless cod or 12 ounces other white fish
- 4 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Poke the tomato with a fork and microwave on high in 15 second intervals until the peel rubs off easily (30-45 seconds). Peel, core, and dice the tomato.
- Combine potatoes, onion, chorizo and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Pour mixture into slow cooker.
- Add clam juice, tomato, and wine to slow cooker and cook until potatoes are tender, about 4 hours on low or 2 1/2 hours on high.
- Cut fish into 2-inch pieces. Add fish, shrimp, salt and pepper to slow cooker and continue to cook until fish flakes apart and shrimp are completely opaque, 20-30 minutes.