Recipe by oloschiavo
A classic comfort dessert, this dish tastes fabulous served hot or cold. Accompany with fresh or poached seasonal fruit.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
I tried to make this pudding tonight and it just wouldn't set up into a pudding. I did use the correct short grain pudding rice and whole milk as instructed in the recipe. My oven was indeed correctly set to 150 C (300 F). I made no substitutions at all, and measured everything carefully. There was just still so much liquid, even after I let it cool. I wonder if the measurement of the milk is off? Some other recipes indicate baking the pudding with a lid on, perhaps this is missing from the instructions? I tried the recipe again, just to be certain I hadn't made any accidental measuring errors, and unfortunately, the results were the same (even after baking a further 30 minutes). It does set up more upon chilling and has a lovely taste.
- 1⁄3 cup short-grain rice, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar, plus
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar, plus
- 3 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 30 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300f.
- Mix rice, sugar, milk vanilla and salt.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Bake 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and dot with pieces of butter about 5 minutes before fully cooked.
- Allow 10 minutes cooling time before serving.