Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour. Not yet tried. From Moosewood.
Make and share this Slovenian Almond-Apricot Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried unsulfured apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and apricots to a boil, then simmer until soft, at least 10 minutes.
- Add the butter, maple syrup, egg, vanilla and orange rind; stir well until butter melts.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the apricot mixture.
- Add the chopped almonds and mix well.
- Spread the batter into an oiled medium-sized loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.
Very good recipe that yields a lovely loaf. It's so close to being diabetic friendly already that I took it one more step by really cutting the sugar. I used 1 cup of apricots, 1/4 cup of a "no sugar added" maple syrup (it has about 8g sugar per 1/4 cup and the missing 1/4 cup of liquid was replaced with water) and 1/4 cup of Splenda. The flour used was 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat and 1 cup of white and, the egg was 1/4 cup of just the whites and the almonds were cut to a liberal 1/4 cup. With the changes I got a very good tasting tea bread that baked beautifully in 45 mins in an 8x4 glass pan at 325f. I'm very happy with this recipe that is so good and willing to adapt to personal needs. Thanks Ms*Bindy for a keeper.
I made this in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan, your directions do not state what size pan/s to use, however the bread turned out well. I did not bake them for as long as the recipe states, mine only took 50 minutes on air-convection oven. Thanks Bunny Mom!..Kitten:)