Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup gets its smooth texture from grated potatoes. You can use any firm white fish, shrimp, or clams.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white flesh fish (cod, perch, walleye, catfish, or you can use shrimp or little neck clams instead)
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 cups water or 6 cups fish stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram
- 4 medium potatoes, grated
- 2 skinned tomatoes, chopped
- black pepper
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread, toasted, cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cubed fish or shrimp or clams, Set Aside.
- Fry bacon in large pot until done but not crisp, Add the fish and fry in bacon drippings until lightly colored. Add paprika, mixing well, cover with water or broth. Bring slowly to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered. Add salt, pepper, marjoram, and the grated potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes. While cooking, cover slices of pumpernickel with butter, cube them and toast them under the broiler until crisp.
- Serve soup with croutons.