Recipe by Jane from Ohio
This is pure comfort food. This was my mother's recipe. I hope you enjoy it.
Top Review by Merlot
It just doesn't get any better than this. We love the combination of the cabbage and dumplings. I had some bacon that needed to be used up so I fried the bacon and broke it in pieces to add to this dish. Comfort food at it's best. Thanks for sharing this, Jane from Ohio. A real winner for sure.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 medium onion, chopped (I use 2)
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, add grated potatoes, salt and egg. Add flour, mixing well. Add water if dough is stiff. Drop dough from moistened spoon into a kettle of boiling water. Cook partly covered for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionaly. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In skillet, saute onions in butter/margarine until golden brown. Add grated cabbage and salt. Cover and fry over low heat stirring occasionaly until tender and golden brown. Add to dumplings, mix well. You may need to add more salt to your taste.