Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs 15 mins
Pennsylvania Slovak (Carpatho-Rusyn) recipe. Tasty and filling. Serve with rye bread. This soup tastes even better the next day.
- 1 (3 lb) smoked pork shoulder, washed (cottage ham)
- 2 onions, finely chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 -2 cup dried lima beans or 1 (14 ounce) can lima beans
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 sprigs parsley
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 3 (20 ounce) packages frozen mixed vegetables (if you prefer you can use bags of individual vegetables, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrot)
- 1 small cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons water
- Place ham in an 8 quart stock pot and add water to 1-inch below the top.
- Add onions, beans (if using dry beans), pepper, and parsley.
- Let simmer 5-6 hours.
- To prepare steranka: mix together egg, flour, and water and knead until smooth (dough should be very stiff).
- Pinch off bits of dough (about the size of a pea) onto a lightly floured board.
- When all of the pieces have been pinched off, drop into boiling water slowly so that the water doesn't stop boiling.
- Boil until all of the pieces come to the surface (3-5 minutes).
- Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Remove ham from the soup, and chip into bite sized pieces.
- Discard fat and bones, and return meat to soup.
- Add steranka and barley, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add all vegetables (if using canned beans add with the vegetables instead of with the onions and seasonings), and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add tomato soup, and simmer 15-20 minutes longer.
Delicious is the best word for this soup. I made it for dinned and it supplied a full meal in a bowl. I loved the wee dumplings and as was suggested in the other review I made them in a separate pot and added them at the soup at serving. This is a comforting and nourishing soup that fills and warms you from the inside. The only change I made was to use mushroom soup in place of tomato as we don't care for canned tomato soup. The barley, beans and veggies with ham make this a meal in a bowl.
This is a delicous soup. I had a ham bone with about 1# of meat and added 4 cans of unsalted chicken broth to a large pot instead of the water. I added the onions and fresh thyme,basil, rosemary and parsley. After 2 hours I removed the ham bone and ham, chopped the ham and added back to the pot. Bringing the pot to a medium boil I added about 8 cups of chopped fresh vegetables; celery, carrots, cabbage and the barley. I also added l can of corn and 1 can of butter beans and 2 cans tomatoe soup. I tasted before salting and added grated pepper. The little dumplings were boiled in a separate pot before adding to the soup. They are a worthwhile addition; the kids loved them. The recipe would be easier of course with frozen vegys but I had an afternoon to kill and I had fun. Highly recommend spoiling the family with this soup. Served with my homemade sourdough bread.