1/3 Photos of Slovak Christmas Eve Mushroom Soup
Jane from Ohio's Note:
This was passed down from generation to generation. I don't have a recipe for this soup, but I will try to esitmate the portions. It is a sour soup but it is delicious. People either love it or not. My neice never liked it and now she loves it, can't wait till Christmas Eve. My grandmother used to use mushrooms my grandfather and dad would pick up in the woods. I believe they called them sheephead. My grandmother would then clean them and hang them to dry. We can't find the mushrooms for sale and are afraid to go and look for them in the woods. We don't know the good from the bad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute chopped onions in 1 cup butter until golden brown.
- 2Add finely chopped mushrooms to onions, and cook until mushrooms are done.
- 3Add water and cans of sauerkraut juice, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 1/2 hour.
- 4In a small sauce pan brown remaining 1/4 cup butter, adding flour to make a roux.
- 5Slowly add some soup juice (about 2 cups) to the roux, stirring to blend.
- 6Add roux to soup and cook another 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Serve.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slovak Christmas Eve Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.8
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 176.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: