Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Bread Balls with Poppyseeds and Honey. This is a traditional dish from the Slovak Velija or Christmas Eve Holy Supper that consists of twelve meatless dishes representing the twelve Apostles. Bobalki - Awaiting Baptism by Water.
- In a medium saucepan, bring to boil 2 cups water, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and oil. Cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 cup warm water.
- Place flour in large bowl. Add lukewarm water-sugar mixture and yeast mixture. Combine thoroughly and knead until smooth (10 minute by hand or 7 minute in mixer). Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to 1/2- to 1-inch thick and cut into pieces and roll by hand into 1 inch balls.
- Place on a parchment-lined or floured cookie sheet with dough ball sides touching. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Let rise, covered with oiled plastic wrap until nearly doubled. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, grind poppyseeds in a mortar and pestle with a little water or milk and set aside. When Bobalki are cool, break dough balls apart, and place in colander. Pour just enough boiling water over Bobalki to soften but not turn them into mush. Drain well. Pour warm honey and ground poppyseeds over all. Stir lightly and serve immediately.