Recipe by Snicklefritzie
This is a recipe I adapted from a BHG slow-cooker cookbook. We are eating vegetarian meals once a week and this one is a keeper.
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked regular brown rice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 dashes vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine carrots, celery, onion, lentils, rice, brown sugar, mustard, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic. Stir in vegetable broth.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Stir in tomato sauce and vinegar. Cover and cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve lentil mixture on toasted buns.
- Can use beef or chicken broth for vegetable.