Recipe by nomnom
Got this from www.nasoya.com after a recent tofu & sloppy joe craving. Delish
Top Review by winkki
This smells great while it's cooking! I had to drop the green pepper due to family allergy, but am used to adjusting all our recipes for that. The 1 T. of chili powder did seem high as the recipe warned (thanks!); I started with 1 tsp, expecting to increase it, but that was enough. It was good, but a little too 'Mexican food' tasting to pass for Sloppy Joes with the family. (Although I think it would be great with Mexican rice or black beans just as is, and may try it that way next time!) I went back and added 2-3 T. each of Bragg's Liquid Aminos and ground flax seed, to make it a little 'meatier' (and thicker) and about 1 T. each of brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce to give it more of a BBQ flavor and even out the tomato sauce a bit...personal preference. It all disappeared, though; will definitely make it through the menu rotation again. Thanks!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 453.59 g lite firm tofu, patted dry,crumbled
- 29.58 ml light soy sauce
- 473.18 ml tomato sauce
- 14.79 ml chili powder (I know, it's a lot. Scale back, if desired, but bread and veggies should cut the heat)
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat skillet over medium high.
- Cook onion, pepper, and garlic until soft.
- Add tofu and soy sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly until brown.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Cook 2-3 more minutes to incorporate.
- Serve over hamburger buns (I also saw mom using leftovers as a tortilla chip dip).