Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This chicken rocks! Kinda messy but worth it! The sherry gives it a unique flavor. Call your friends over and throw this on the grill! They are sure to like it!!
- 3 -4 lbs chicken breasts or 3 -4 lbs chicken thighs or 3 -4 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry sherry
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Put the chicken in a large ziplock bag and prepare marinade.
- Marinade- in a medium bowl stir together the sherry, onion, lemon juice, and garlic.
- Pour over chicken; seal bag.
- Marinate for at least 2 hrs, overnight if possible.
- Flip the bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken, RESERVING marinade.
- Cover and chill chicken until ready to grill.
- For the sauce- in a large saucepan combine the reserved marinade, tomato puree, honey and the molasses, salt, thyme, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Preheat grill.
- Reduce to medium heat and place chicken bone side down on the grill rack.
- Cover and grill for 50-60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, brushing with some of the sauce during the last 15 minutes of grilling.
- To serve, reheat and pass the remaining sauce over chicken.
Tangy and flavorful, the marinade combined with the sauce makes an interesting combination. A bit expensive to use all that sherry, but it does make the flavor penetrate down into the meat. One suggestion -- It would make the recipe easier to follow if you separated the ingredients into marinade ingredients and sauce ingredients. I got a little cross-eyed squinting at my computer from across the room and the tomato puree ended up in the marinade. LOL