Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A vegetarian version of sloppy joes
Make and share this Sloppy Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (or green bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heal the oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in the onion and bell pepper; cover, and cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in chili powder, stirring to coat.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; add in the lentils, tomatoes, water, tamari, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Serve sloppy-joe style on warmed buns.
This was OK, but I didn't love it. It was very sweet. I love the idea that it's made with lentils instead of meat. I did take another reviewer's suggestion and added some apple cider vinegar. Surprisingly my toddler daughter loved it, so that's a bonus.
This wasn't a bad recipe, just not what I think of when I think of Sloppy Joe flavor so I did tweak mine quite a bit with ketchup, mustard, and a bit of BBQ sauce. I do absolutely LOVE the idea of using lentils instead of meat and everyone in my family gobbled them up! I think next time, I'll stick with my regular spice mixture but keep the lentils! Thanks so much!
It was very good but too much sugar. Next time I will try using half the amount of sugar. I used two onions instead of 1 and red lentils instead of brown lentils. Good vegetarian dish.