1/1 Photo of Sloppy Lentils
8 hrs 30 mins
A vegetarian version of sloppy joes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (or green bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heal the oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in the onion and bell pepper; cover, and cook about 5 minutes, until softened.
- 2Add in chili powder, stirring to coat.
- 3Transfer mixture to a slow cooker; add in the lentils, tomatoes, water, tamari, mustard, brown sugar, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
- 4Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 5Serve sloppy-joe style on warmed buns.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sloppy Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.5
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1375.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.9 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 21.1 g