Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Author Leah Eskin finds bean-based burger substitutes to be tired. While experimenting, she realized that the additions were really satisfactory in their own right, and, thus, came up with this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 8 soft slider buns, potato recommended
- Heat olive oil in a wide, heavy skillet. Add the onions, 1/8 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring often, over medium-heigh heat, until onions are browned and sticky/crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a second wide, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add all the mushrooms, garlic, 1/8 tsp salt and a few grinds pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are richly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, pour in cognac and cook until liquid disappears, 1 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Split buns; lay them open-faced on a broiler rack. Cover both halves with cheese. Slide under the broiler just until cheese has melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Set buns on serving platter.
- Heap mushrooms onto each bottom bun. Top with onions. Cover with top bun. Enjoy.
This is one for my keeper file! DH and I made these last night for dinner. Yum! Excellent flavor. DH, who usually does not give overwhelmingly positive comments to meatless dishes said, "this one is pretty darn good." We made as posted and thought no modifications were needed. We served with roasted asparagus as a side. Thanks so much for posting. Made for Rookie Tag Spring 2013.
Delicious mushroom onion sliders! I cut this recipe down for two and it made for a perfect lunch today. I served it with extra sharp orange cheddar cheese on potato buns as suggested! I used baby bellas instead of the white button mushrooms. Otherwise it was made as written! Made for Ramadan tag 2012.
I halved the recipe, used shitake and baby bella mushrooms. I left out the cognac and served open faced on whole grain bread. Yummy, thanks!