Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook which is a good book for new vegetarians. The recipe uses TVP and is very easy. It's also pretty good eating.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry textured vegetable protein
- Saute the onion and green pepper in 3 Tbsp of oil until tender.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Simmer together for 20 minutes and serve hot over split hamburger buns.
I made this up for the in-laws, (only his mother is the veg not his dad) and used it as a taco filling. It was a hit! My father in-law only concern was that his wife was actually eating "meat."