Recipe by Veganized
Really tasty and easy to cook... This is my own version of Sloppy Joes. I'm not a big fan of textured soy protein, but this way I really enjoy it! The Marmite adds a "meaty" flavor. (if you can't find it in stores, it can be ordered from www.veganessentials.com)
- 1 green bell pepper, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups tomato sauce (passata)
- 1 cup water
- 2 -4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 -3 teaspoons brown sugar (raw cane sugar)
- 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cilantro (coriander)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons marmite (yeast extract)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Marmite is pretty salty, so do not add salt before tasting!
- Simply combine all ingredients (except Marmite) in a pot and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, lower heat and add Marmite (it's sticky, so it's a lot easier to dissolve in boiling liquid).
- Let simmer 25-30 min., stirring occasionally. (add more water if necessary).
- Taste, add more spices if you like.