Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a sweet tomatoey tasting sloppy joe. The recipe came from the USDA's recipe book for the Child and Adult Care Food Program. I have been using it for my daycare for a while now. Sometimes I add very tiny chopped peppers and carrots. Small enough that the kids don't know they are there.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onions, chopped or 3 tablespoons dehydrated onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 2 7⁄8 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar, plus
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 25 hamburger buns
- Brown ground beef. Drain off fat.
- Add onions and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, ketchup, water, vinegar, dry mustard, pepper, and brown sugar. Mix well and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Scoop 1/3 cup onto each hamburger bun.
Good sloppy joe recipe! I had some tomato paste to use and wanted sloppy joes, so found this recipe. I did cut it down to not feed a crowd, but it still went well. Thanks for posting! Made for Bargain Basement tag game.