Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
Make and share this Sloppy Joes (Slow Cooker) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (85%)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork.
- Mix in ground beef, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper using hands.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, garlic, and chili powder and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in beef mixture, 1 pound at a time, and cook, breaking up any large pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes per pound.
- Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir remaining tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, and hot sauce into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 6-8 hours on LOW or 3-5 hours on HIGH.
- Let meat mixture settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Break up any remaining large pieces of beef with spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture onto buns and serve.