Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Looking for a quick-and-easy meal that the kids will love? Try this phase 2 take on an elementary school classic--BUT beware of the mess! Recipe easy to double. The recipe comes from The South Beach Diet,
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons celery, thinly sliced
- 0.5 (8 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato sauce (without sugar) or 0.5 (8 ounce) canregular tomato sauce (without sugar)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 whole grain buns
- Set the tofu between 2 plates and place a heavy pot on top; set aside for 10 minutes to release excess water; pat dry; coarsely mash or crumble the tofu with a fork.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium heat; add the tofu, onions, green peppers, and celery, sauté for 8 minutes, or until the tofu is well browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Splenda, cook stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound equal amounts of the mixture onto the buns and enjoy.