Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From "Make-a-Mix" by Karine Eliason. I purposefully omitted the salt for a healthier version. Could not find green pepper flakes, so I used Spike seasoning as an emergency substitute.
Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion (salt free) or 1 tablespoon onion powder (salt free)
- 1 teaspoon spike seasoning (no sodium or low sodium) or 1 teaspoon dried green pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (salt free) or 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (salt free)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin (soft tofu, ground chicken or turkey or Gimme Lean can be substituted)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sloppy joe seasoning mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 whole grain buns or 8 whole wheat rolls
- Seasoning Mix: Combine all ingredients in a coffee mill or mini chopper and blend well.
- Store in a cool dry place, covered. Use up within 6 months.
- Yield: Enough for 6 Sloppy Joes.
- Sloppy Joes: Heat up the oil in a saute pan on medium-high heat and brown the meat until no longer pink. Pour off grease.
- Add the Sloppy Joe's seasoning mix, can of tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt if desired.
- Serve hot over rolls. The buns can be toasted or untoasted, your choice.
- Eat but remember to chew!