Recipe by Cookin'withGas
VERY basic sloppy joes recipe that is served in pita pockets...Considerably less messy to eat than the usual sloppy joes that are served in hamburger buns...In addition I've lightened the original recipe by using ground turkey, used a low-sodium version of the canned soup and gone low-fat on the cheese...Serve with a tossed green salad!
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-sodium tomato soup
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, shredded (part-skim or low-fat)
- pita bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground turkey in a large skillet in the oil over low heat for 5 min, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked ground turkey to a bowl, leaving the remaining oil in the skillet for additional use.
- In the same skillet, in the hreserved oil, saute onions on medium heat for 5 min (use more olive oil IF needed).
- Return the meat to the skillet and add the soup mix and the tomato soup.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer 5 min, stirring often.
- To serve: Cut open pita pockets; spoon in mixture; top with shredded swiss cheese.
- Variation: Swap out the swiss cheese for another kind of cheese such as mozzarella, cheddar or monterey jack.
- NOTE: prep time covers the onion chopping; cook time covers the remainder of the preparation.