Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very close to the way my Mom made Sloppy Joes for us when I was young (many years ago). I have added the onion rings for a crunchy surprise and they are oh, so good!
- Brown ground beef.
- Add onions and continue browning.
- Add garlic (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the Buns and the French's French Fried Onions.
- Simmer the sauce for at least 30 minutes to enhance the flavour.
- Slice the buns and toast them if you prefer. (Sometimes I toast them in the oven with butter and garlic).
- Add the meat mixture to one side of the bun.
- Top the meat with some FFF onions.
- Add the top of the bun and serve.
I cut this recipe in half for the 2 of us, & except for using lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, the recipe was followed right down to the crispy onions ~ GREAT TASTING SLOPPY JOES! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]
I made this today for the ZWT4 family picks! It is a great recipe, but for us, way tooo sweet with the sugar, personal taste!!! I am used to a more tangy recipe!! I will say that the added french fried onions makes for a total different sloppy joe, I loved that part!!! I would definitely make again, but without the sugar!!! I should say that I use hotdog buns, much easier to eat them this way.
I made this for the Crockpot challenge for ZWT4 Flying Duchess' I scrambled the raw meat in the crockpot so it wouldn't be one big chunk, stirred in the other ingredients, turned it on high and went out. When we got home 4 hours later it tasted great, although a bit watery - if I make it in the crockpot again, I'll leave out the water.