Recipe by Dib's
We like this for a fast and tasty dinner.
Top Review by Amy - Ellie's Mommie
August 3, 2003 A very tasty recipe, but doesn't taste exactly like Manwich - hence the four stars. A few tips - puree/grind the peppers and onions in a blender rather than a food processor. A whole medium yellow onion is about half a cup. A quarter red pepper is about a 1/3 of a cup. I used a hickory smoke bbq sauce as that is what I had on hand, and it made the sauce a little sweet, so I'd stick with a spicy kind. Also, I wasn't sure what kind of hot mustard to use (prepared or powdered), so I used powdered and it tasted fine. I used Coleman's brand. I also added some green Tabasco sauce as my family likes our food a little spicy, but that is not saying anything against the recipe, just our taste buds! All in all a very good, easy recipe. Much better for you than canned Manwich and almost as easy. I will be making this again (without the hickory smoke bbq sauce!). January 10, 2004 I just made this again the other night, and left out the BBQ sauce. I used extra ketchup and homemade steak sauce (I used a combination of several recipes here and will post my version soon) to make up for the volume of the bbq sauce. NOW, this tastes like manwich! The raw red pepper taste still comes through a bit much, but I think if I cook the sauce on the stove for a few minutes before adding it to my cooked meat or Boca crumbles, that will be taken care of.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup steak sauce
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ground sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ground yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 large hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet brown the beef in a small amount of oil, if needed.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except buns and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until mixture is reduced and has reached the desired thickness your looking for.
- Serve on toasted Buns.