Halcyon Eve's Note:
After joining Weight Watchers, I lightened up my special sloppy joes recipe. Each sandwich is 6 points when made as directed. My DS loves these even more than the original! I sometimes add a slice of cheese or a bit of shredded cheese to the sandwiches on top of the sauce for my DH and DS (since they're not dieting!), but they like them without, too. Times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs extra lean ground turkey breast
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2-2 cups)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 hamburger buns (the small, plain ones, not the large BBQ buns)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Crumble ground turkey into a large, deep skillet coated with nonstick spray and heated over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until turkey is cooked through, breaking up into smaller chunks with spoon while stirring (about 5-10 minutes). Drain.
- 2Add garlic and cook until just turning white, about 1 minute. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- 3Add chili powder and stir into turkey mixture. Add ketchup, tomato sauce, and brown sugar, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer until thickened as desired,about 5-10 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings.
- 4Meanwhile, place oven rack for broiling. Split buns and set on a baking sheet. Spray each half bun with a spritz or two of olive oil spray, to lightly coat the whole surface. Sprinkle each with a dash or two of garlic powder, and top each half bun with 1/2 tablespoon parmesan. Broil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- 5To assemble, top each bottom half bun with 1/8 of the sauce, then place top half of bun over sauce and serve right away.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sloppy Joes (Lightened Up)
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.7 mg
- Sodium 646.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 24.1 g