Recipe by Halcyon Eve
After joining Weight Watchers, I lightened up my special sloppy joes recipe. Each sandwich is 6 points when made as directed. My DS loves these even more than the original! I sometimes add a slice of cheese or a bit of shredded cheese to the sandwiches on top of the sauce for my DH and DS (since they're not dieting!), but they like them without, too. Times are estimated.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra lean ground turkey breast
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2-2 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ketchup
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 hamburger buns (the small, plain ones, not the large BBQ buns)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble ground turkey into a large, deep skillet coated with nonstick spray and heated over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until turkey is cooked through, breaking up into smaller chunks with spoon while stirring (about 5-10 minutes). Drain.
- Add garlic and cook until just turning white, about 1 minute. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chili powder and stir into turkey mixture. Add ketchup, tomato sauce, and brown sugar, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer until thickened as desired,about 5-10 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings.
- Meanwhile, place oven rack for broiling. Split buns and set on a baking sheet. Spray each half bun with a spritz or two of olive oil spray, to lightly coat the whole surface. Sprinkle each with a dash or two of garlic powder, and top each half bun with 1/2 tablespoon parmesan. Broil until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- To assemble, top each bottom half bun with 1/8 of the sauce, then place top half of bun over sauce and serve right away.