Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posted in response to a request; untried by me.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup prepared chili sauce (like Heinz brand)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare mason jars, lids and rings; if you are unsure on how to do this, consult a preserving manual.
- In a heavy saucepan, begin to brown ground beef, then add onion and garlic; continue cooking until meat is browned.
- Drain off fat.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the brown sugar and mustard, then add remaining ingredients to brown sugar mixture.
- Stir into beef and heat thoroughly.
- Now, carefully spoon this hot mixture into hot jars, leaving a one-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with a (nonmetallic) spatula and wipe the rims of the jars clean of any food residue.
- Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass; screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met; this is called being fingertip-tight.
- Process for 75 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
Wonderful and full of flavor,however next time I make this I will cut back on the worc. sauce just a tad. Keep em comming Lennie.
just love this. i've made it several times, the first time i used really fatty ground beef that i wanted to get rid of. drained the fat off of course, and it was yummy. the 2nd time i made it w/ very lean beef and home made ketchup that i didn't cook, just put all the ingreidents in with those called for here and cooked as directed in this recipe. wasn't the best batch, the meat got a little dry. actually it was more like cardboard dry, i tossed the whole batch. not sure but i think it was the ketchup. whatever it was that batch wasn't the best, but i've no doubt that one was all my doing. this is one that i'll keep in stock for those nights when i'm just too lazy to cook anything at all. just pop a jar, nuke, and slap on a bun adn you're good to go! :)
Very easy. Little to sweet for us next batch I will use less no sugar as the catsup has enough sweetness. Will us it again.