Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I combined several recipes and came up with this and all 3 of my kids loved it, LOL! I use ground turkey, but you can use whatever ground meat you like. You can even use a combo of ground meat and TVP, for even lower fat. I used 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder and it wasn't too hot for the kids. See Note.
Top Review by SweetsLady
Yummy sloppy joes! I didn't have any red pepper and added a tad more sugar and ketchup as we like things a little sweeter. I served it on whole wheat bread along with some melted cheese on top for a easy dinner. Thanks for posting! :D
- 3 lbs ground turkey or 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Start making the sauce by combining the ketchup, sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worc. sauce and chili powder in a small saucepot.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook ground turkey, garlic, red pepper and onion in a large saucepan until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add sauce to meat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
- NOTE: You could add chopped carrot and ground flax seed for added nutrition too, if your kids aren't too picky! The sauce tends to mask all the other vegetable flavors.