Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I combined several recipes and came up with this and all 3 of my kids loved it, LOL! I use ground turkey, but you can use whatever ground meat you like. You can even use a combo of ground meat and TVP, for even lower fat. I used 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder and it wasn't too hot for the kids. See Note.
- 3 lbs ground turkey or 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon chili powder
- Start making the sauce by combining the ketchup, sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worc. sauce and chili powder in a small saucepot.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook ground turkey, garlic, red pepper and onion in a large saucepan until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add sauce to meat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
- NOTE: You could add chopped carrot and ground flax seed for added nutrition too, if your kids aren't too picky! The sauce tends to mask all the other vegetable flavors.
Yummy sloppy joes! I didn't have any red pepper and added a tad more sugar and ketchup as we like things a little sweeter. I served it on whole wheat bread along with some melted cheese on top for a easy dinner. Thanks for posting! :D