Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This can also be made either in a crockpot or on top of the stove, see cooking methods listed for both, I also like to add in a can of drained black beans but that is optional --- and to make this even more special butter the sliced buns then lightly sprinkle some garlic powder on top then toast in a skillet butter-side down before topping with the meat mixture :)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions or 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped, can use 2 small peppers)
- 2 teaspoons dried red chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste add in for some heat)
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup (or use BBQ sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup flour (add in for the crock pot only)
- 6 -8 hamburger buns (sliced in half)
- cheddar cheese (optional and to taste)
- For the crock pot/slow cooker method; in a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion, garlic, celery, green pepper and chili flakes until the meat is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add the beef broth or water tomato sauce, ketchup or BBQ sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, mustard, chili powder, paprika Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, black pepper and flour; mix well and bring to a simmer then transfer to the crock pot/slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours.
- For the stove top method; Proceed with method as directed (omitting the flour) cooking the complete recipe in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour (the longer you cook this the thicker it will be).
- Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture onto each bun, top with grated cheddar cheese if desired.
My grandson had a T-ball game Monday night and needed something quick for dinner. Loved that you just put this together and put in crock pot and let it cook till you get home. Family loved it and such a easy meal to put on the table after the game. Thank you for sharing it.
Yummy. I used 2 cups of Recipe#31008 that I had frozen for my meat and used diced tomatoes instead of crushed. I also used 1 tbsp. of splenda brown since you use that at half strength. I like things sweet but I think 4 tbsp. of brown sugar would have been too much for me. The equivalent of 2 tbsp. was fine. Sweet, nice sloppy joes that the kids enjoyed. Thanks!
Well, this is the first time my kids have eaten Sloppy Joes and it was a qualified success! The loved the messiness of it all - and the sandwiches tasted great! This recipe couldn't have been easier, with really good flavour.