Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Pennsylvania Slovak (Carpatho-Rusyn) recipe. Sweet and tangy with a slight kick and packed with veggies. Easy, tasty, and filling. Great for parties.
- 8 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, chopped (about 6)
- 17 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, chopped (canned mushroom pieces are fine, you can also add cooked beans or peas in place of or in addition to)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 quarts ketchup (8 cups)
- 1⁄8 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 45 hamburger buns
- Brown ground beef with peppers, onions, and garlic, stirring until meat crumbles and onion is tender; drain off fat.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Turn heat down and let simmer for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon meat mixture over bottom halves of buns (about 1/4 cup meat mixture on each bun); top with remaining halves.