Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This version, as posted by Tracy Schneider at Al Dente, comes from her casserole buddies in Vermont, Zachary and Clark. http://bit.ly/91rI9O
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, heaping
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 8 hamburger buns
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and pepper, season, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef, season, and cook until most of water is boiled off. Add remaining ingredients and combine. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and dark, 30-45 minutes.
- Butter buns and broil until golden brown; serve meat mixture hot over toasted buns.