Recipe by Snowpeas
My sister-in-law Marsha has been making these for years. She calls them bar-b-que, but I'm from the south, so I call them Sloppy Joes. Whatever you call them, the whole family will just yum them right up!
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
These were really good!! I cut the recipe down to make 4 sandwiches but made sauce for 8 (we like them sloppy and juicy!) Was so good and DH didn't even notice the celery (he hates it). These are much better than the canned version, I like that it was a little sweet rather than more of a tomato taste. Will make again!! Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 1 small onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 teaspoons salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 hamburger buns (or other roll)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the onion and celery.
- Brown the ground chuck with the onion and celery.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ground beef is browned, drain off all grease.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and worcestershire sauce.
- Cook together.
- Serve on a bun and enjoy!