My sister-in-law Marsha has been making these for years. She calls them bar-b-que, but I'm from the south, so I call them Sloppy Joes. Whatever you call them, the whole family will just yum them right up!
- Dice the onion and celery.
- Brown the ground chuck with the onion and celery.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ground beef is browned, drain off all grease.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and worcestershire sauce.
- Cook together.
- Serve on a bun and enjoy!
These were really good!! I cut the recipe down to make 4 sandwiches but made sauce for 8 (we like them sloppy and juicy!) Was so good and DH didn't even notice the celery (he hates it). These are much better than the canned version, I like that it was a little sweet rather than more of a tomato taste. Will make again!! Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
Funny, but I'm originally from about as far north in the USA as one can get, & we also called them Sloppy Joes! Anyway, I made just a 1/3 of the recipe, & I can still tell you: These Joes are much better than what you get out of a can! Very nice served on fresh whole wheat buns! Will certainly make these again! Thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]