Prep 8 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I had been searching for a sloppy joe recipe we all would like and happened on this one. love this recipe as I can prepare it and forget about it! It makes getting dinner on the table a breeze. All my family loves it - AND it freezes well. The recipe actually makes enough for a couple meals - so why not go ahead and freeze some for a future meal? I found the recipe online from Better Homes and Gardens. I downsized it to fill our family's needs.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 -10 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- In large skillet cook ground beef, onion and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except hamburger buns. Mix well.
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart crockpot, add sloppy joe mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours OR on high for 3-4 hours.
- Spoon into buns.
I did not read down in the instructions (oops) that this was a crockpot recipe. I already had the ingredients so after my meat cooked and all ingredients were in, I covered my skillet and cooked on high for a couple minutes to really get the peppers cooked down. Then I kept on medium heat for 8 minutes. They still turned out great without the crockpot!
This will be the Sloppy Joe recipe we use! Tastes great and we love those crockpot recipes
This was a hit the first time I made it and I have it in the crock pot for dinner agian tonight. Great recipe with lots of flavor. Way, WAY better than the canned or packaged stuff. Thanks!