1/7 Photos of Sloppy Joes
Andi of Longmeadow Farm's Note:
The horse trailers were puling into the lot behind our church. It was a huge, long lot that was approximately 2 acres, and would house horses, their trailers, their owners and riders, and a large jumping course that would provide lots of fun and frolic for 2 days. My mother was in charge of the food supply, and early in the morning she made large, bubbling pots of "Sloppy Joes' a la All Saints!" I know we must of had at least 10 dozen rolls, and probably 25 lbs. of ground beef, large cans of tomato sauces, fresh tomatoes, and V8. Anyway you make these, they are 100% real from our horse show. The only thing missing is the peppermint stuck in the lemon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 ounces v 8 vegetable juice (tomato juice or water can be used)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Spicy Extra Seasonings
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (spicy optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (spicy optional)
- 1Spray cooking spray in medium skillet.
- 2Brown ground beef.
- 3Remove ground beef, drain, and set aside.
- 4In same skillet, cook onion until soft.
- 5Add chopped tomato, and cook until soft.
- 6Add garlic, salt, and pepper to cooked onions and tomato stirring for 30 seconds.
- 7Add tomato sauce, ketchup, V-8, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice to skillet with onion and tomato heating through until bubbly.
- 8Return ground beef to this skillet with sloppy sauce.
- 9Mix well, and heat through.
- 10Add optional spicy seasonings to taste.
- 11Spoon on warmed buns.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sloppy Joes
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.4
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 774.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 22.6 g