Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was the Grand Champion recipe for Quick Cooking's "Fast Fixes with Mixes" recipe contest. (May/June 1999)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups baking mix (Bisquick) or 2 cups biscuit mix (Bisquick)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Brown beef in a skillet, drain.
- Stir in sloppy joe sauce and mix well.
- Spoon into ungreased 9" x 13" baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Stir baking mix, milk and eggs until just blended; pour over beef mixture.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake (uncovered) for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
This is a somewhat familiar kind of recipe, and pretty simple, but the biscuit and sesame seed topping has a vaguely fancy feel. It really did kind of taste like sloppy joes on a sesame seed bun (albeit with the addition of the cheese). I made this exactly as written, using mostly 85% grond beef and a little 93% I had on hand, and the cheddar was mild, not sharp.
Really Good !! Great taste & the bisquick topping is perfect. Super combo... perfect for a potluck or game party !!
Great recipe - quick and easy, lots of taste. This is also in my Taste of Home Beef book. Sometimes I like to add kidney beans or a few black beans but I have to puree them so that the kids dont know they are in there. This is a winner.